Burmese Mermaid

Burmese Mermaid
Burmese Pearl by Gerald Kelly

Monday, November 7, 2022

Antidotes to the Fear of Death by Rebecca Elson

 


Rebecca Elson, Astronomer-Poet
2 January 1960 - 19 May 1999


ANTIDOTES TO FEAR OF DEATH

Sometimes as an antidote

To fear of death,

I eat the stars


Those nights, lying on my back,

I suck them from the quenching

dark

Til  they are all, all inside me,

Pepper hot and sharp.


Sometimes, instead, I stir myself

Into a universe still young,

Still warm as blood.


No outer space, just space,

The light of all the not yet stars

Drifting like a bright mist,

And all of us, and everything

Already there

But unconstrained by form.


And sometimes it's enough

To lie down here on earth

Beside our long ancestral bones:


To walk across the cobble fields

Of our discarded skulls,

Each like a treasure, like a 

chrysalis,

Thinking: whatever left these

husks

Flew off on bright wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment